7 Tap Water Facts You Must Know Before You Pick Up That Glass
Boy, did I learn a valuable lesson. I used to drink tap water just because the municipal water treatment facility told me I had nothing to worry about. However, after doing a little bit of my own research, I realized that I was putting myself and my family at great risk for not using a home water filter. Here are 7 tap water facts that you should be aware of before reaching for that glass.
1. US drinking water contains more than 2,100 carcinogens and as more studies are done, the more that number increases. Prior to the rampant use of chemicals such as pesticides, chlorine, and herbicides, Americans had a 1 in 50 chance of getting cancer. Now Americans have a 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer and scientists think our exposure to chemicals through tap water is to blame.
2. When it comes to tap water facts, the danger of the interaction of contaminants is important to understand. Studies show that when 2 or more of these contaminants are combined, their potency increases by as much as 1,000 times.
3. Water treatment facilities are really no better than swimming pool filters. They remove the visible particles from tap water and add bleach. They don’t remove many dangerous chemicals such as SOCs (Synthetic Organic Chemicals), not to mention chlorine itself is a very dangerous contaminant.
4. According to tap water facts, chlorine is as dangerous as it is ineffective. The ingestion of chlorine has been linked to many different types of cancer include breast cancer, bladder cancer, and rectal cancer. It is added to tap water to kill bacteria. The problem is that some kinds of bacteria are chlorine-resistant, such as cryptosporidium and giardia. Your only line of protection against chlorine and dangerous bacteria is a carbon home water filtration system.
5. The number one environmental health threat to children is tap water consumption. Children’s defense systems are not fully developed thus are incapable of detoxifying all of the harmful contaminants found in tap water. Furthermore, children need to drink clean water in order to prevent disease and stay healthy so it’s especially important to make sure you use a carbon home water filter if you have children.
6. One of the scariest tap water facts is the discovery that there are traces of prescription drugs in tap water supplies across the nation. Drugs ranging from antibiotics to sex hormones have been found in many public water supplies. Water treatment facilities do not test for prescription drugs regularly and there are no regulations in place regarding their removal. The long-term effects of consuming low levels of prescription drugs are unknown but early findings give us plenty of reason to be worried.
7. Did you know that 35% of gastro-intestinal illnesses stem from drinking tap water? These illnesses are easily preventable with the use of a home carbon filter, which is capable of removing both organic and inorganic chemicals from tap water.
Do yourself a favor and keep these tap water facts in mind. This is only the tip of the iceberg but a demonstration of why it’s important to use a home water filter. Many diseases and illnesses could be prevented if we all used home carbon filters. There really is no excuse not to have a home carbon filter since they are so affordable and easy to use.